|  Home  |  Navigator  |  Writings  |  Photographs  |  Blogroller  |  The Tall Guy 2   |  


Standing Tall With The Tall Guy 2

Monday, September 7, 2009

A Pot of Holes [Epilogue]

Part 1 here: [Click lar]
Part 2 here: [Click LAR!]

The end of studying?
Is it true that not everyone is made for studying?

I think it's true.

I've no idea why I study well, or at least I think I am. Probably I had good teachers, and teachers at home too. Dad's a Physics teacher who taught Ms Say my physics lecturer now, Mom's a primary school teacher who taught many of my friends from SABS, Brandon and Cho just to mention a few bright ones. However, I rarely asked my dad about Physics. I read and study it myself. Funny eh? You must be thinking I'm wasting such an opportunity that many hope to have. My mum even funnier, I helped her to even mark papers. Brandon and Cho, I marked your papers you know? That's why I knew you two before seeing your faces. I was a 12-years old teacher in training=)

From small, for no reason I loved reading. I finished an encyclopedia and read it a few times. I memorised capitals of countries for fun. I made up my own quiz books on geography and maths. I developed my thinking on books I read. In secondary school I was reading books like "Theology that Divide" and stuff that teenagers wouldn't even touched. I finished reading from Genesis to Revelation, the whole Bible at least four times. I studied Greek and Hebrew and Japanese before focusing on SPM. That sounds like a crazy genius biography...

And now the biggest catch: everyone is not made to study, including me. By "made to study", I mean "born to be genius". I did not inherit study genes or something, although I seemed to score well in Physics and English, a close resemblance to the "teachers at home". The only things were there was too much books in the house and some really caring Christian teachers surrounding me. All I have to do was explore and ask. Humans are designed by God to learn from Him and other people he has given wisdom. At the time birth, the brain is probably empty or at most contained the most basic information only. Brain cells are meant to connect, they are not "clever" in themselves.

Study is not about exams, but so tragically happen there's a need to discriminate the better ones. You might not have the best teachers, best textbooks, best study environment, but we all somehow like studying. The question is are we studying the stuff that's good for us?

The message of a pot of holes is this: There's no such thing as born genius. Every person is born on earth with the capability to study - to explore the world. And with this, humans are meant to help each other in this pursuit, that's why there are teachers and schoolmates.

I might pass or fail my mock examination, but all I know is this: I'm a pot of holes but light shine through. I'm totally inadequate, it was God and many people who brought me this far. Thank you every one!

[By the way, the word "end" in the first question of this post means "purpose or aim"]
Now only it's The End =p

No comments:

Post a Comment